Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Interior Design and Education

After reading the introduction to Sarah Susanka’s book and listening to her NPR interview, my first thought is that I really want and need to remodel my house to make it a home. Won’t my husband be excited when I share my new plans of creating the feel of a vaulted ceiling in our living room!

But how does interior design and architecture relate to education? As I looked around the school today and thought about compelling interior design, I did not see very many compelling elements. There were sky lights in the hall, however the doors at the end of the hall were not painted a light color to draw one toward them, instead they were brown. I do think that each teacher does try to set up their classroom to the best of their ability to create a positive learning environment. For example, our autism teacher displays a lot of light blue in her classroom to convey a calming feeling, and has moved the classroom furniture out so her room appears large and open.

Each student has a unique learning style that works best for him or her. Taking this into consideration, having a student sit next to the window who likes to work in bright light could make a positive impact on their learning. Or how a teacher groups students’ seating arrangements could also make a difference. Do students learn better in a school that is architecturally designed in a compelling way or will they make the same progress in an old run down building?

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog while searching for the updates on interior designing, I am happy to be here. Very useful content and also easily understandable providing... Believe me I did wrote a post about tutorials for beginners with reference of your blog.
    MSC Interior Design Colleges in Bangalore
    Interior Design Courses In Chennai
    Short Term Fashion Designing Courses In Bangalore
    Interior Designing Colleges In Chennai
    Fashion Technology Courses In Chennai

    ReplyDelete